RE: [TCLUG:9014] ftp stats

> > Since the office announcement of Redhat 6.1, our ftp server has
> been hammered,
> > so I started to look at where all the traffic was coming from.
> >
> > Slap me with a herring.
> >
> > Number leech domain, microsoft.com!
> >
> > Here is a 6 day summary of their activity.
>
> Yikes!  So does that mean that Microsoft is trying to 'waste' bandwidth in
> order to make it extremely difficult for us to get a new version
> of RedHat or
> something?

  Um, I would *hope* it's not a conspiracy.  Really, would that even make
sense?  If my local mirror site is so jammed up I can't get to it, my
immediate conclusion would probably be "Wow, this software must be really
popular...  I suppose if I'm going to have this much trouble downloading it,
maybe I should just spring for the shrinkwrapped version."

  My guess would be that it's just MS employees (they have a hell of a lot
of them, you know) individually downloading it...  But then, why use a
mirror site in MN?
  The only other thing I can think of is it's some hostile nutcase
deliberately using a spoofed MS address.