Apache Access

Ok, I've been playing with this one for a while now, and, yet again,
I'm stumped.

I've got apache 1.3.6 running on my box here...

It works fine at the web root, but as soon as I create a directory and
try to access that, I get 403 perm denied...

I have another directory that does work, at least in part.

I'm using access control, and as near as I can tell access.conf is configured
rightly, and the .htaccess files are identical for the dir's that work and don't
work.

I'm getting frustrated, because I know this is a really simple thing...
Or, at least it is in my mind....

Brian j. Ackermann