Re: [TCLUG:9067] Monitor woes

> On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 bob@math.umn.edu wrote:
<snip>

> > > yay! :)
> >
> > Now on to the modem, PPP/SLIP, and all that.
>
> That's always exciting stuff. You're running SuSE, right? YaST can do that
> stuff pretty easily, no fuss.

With a bit of help from the O'Reilly Linux Net Admin book and wvdial, all
is well.  Now on to ssh and immortality.  ;^)

Not that installing was monumentally difficult, but I can see why getting
an OS pre-installed is a real market winner for MS.  It would be a real
mountain to climb for the average above-average Minnesotan.  But with more
availability of pre-installed linux (up from zero) this should improve.

> > BTW, I thought I would run fsck.  It however gave a frightening message
> > about it being a bad idea to do fsck -A on a drive which already has a
> > fs.  This never used to happen in SunOS4.1.3u, and is a bit alarming.
> > Clearly I am missing something.  The manpages do not warn against this.
> > Should this message be ignored like so many others?
>
> Why do you want to run fsck? It's usually only run after something bad
> happens to your filesystem, never just for fun.

One of those compulsive personality things.  And it is nice to know the
fire extinguisher and snow shovel are handy, just in case.  fsck ought not
to _cause_ problems ...

> > Ferventer Vestite
>
> heh

Another MOAV member?