Re: [TCLUG:9131] enlightenment 0.16

Clay Fandre wrote:

> Bob Tanner wrote:
> >
> > Anyone running the latest verion of enlightenment?
> >
> > Comments?
>
> I've been running the CVS version of 0.16 for a few months now. The
> final version isn't much different. Overall it's a great WM with a lot
> of new stuff compared to the 0.15 release. It's really stable (haven't
> had a crash yet) and seems a little faster than 0.15. Beware, it is a
> little too big to be running on anything less than a P200 with 64Megs of
> ram. The new features can be found at:
> http://www.enlightenment.org/release_0.16.0.html
>
> Probably the coolest feature is window grouping, which allows you to
> group a bunch of windows together to act like one. (IE. minimize one and
> they all minimize, move one they all move)  It also have icon-box
> support. Another cool feature is the ability to run Gnome and KDE
> simultaneously. And it's really configurable. It even has it's own
> shell: eesh.

I have to agree, it is much more stable than DR15, and also piggier.  So
far the major issues I have are:

1) As in DR15, all of these really cool features max out the processor
when they are first used, or when menus are first loaded.  This is by
far my biggest beef.

2) GNOME panel and gmc home dir link are no longer sticky, and there is
no obvious mechanism to make them sticky.

3) Epplets: I have seen references to them, and descriptions, and
supposedly some exist, but where the hell can I find them?

4) Raster and Mandrake are reinventing the wheel.  I like the wheel,
though, but it can not totally replace GNOME or KDE yet (Epplets?).

Now the things I really like:
1) Kick ass Iconbox and Pager.  I can drag each pager window
representing a desktop wherever I want, and I can drag stuff between the
pagers.  Mucho cool.

2) Eye candy.

3) I can turn off most of the features that bug me.

4) Eye candy.

5) Integrated GNOME & KDE menus, including customizations.

6) Eye candy.

--
| Chris McKinley           | http://lugh.net  |