Re: [TCLUG:9165] Large file systems.

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Bill Koob wrote:

> Has anyone done a large file system > 2gig
> See ftp://mea.tmt.tele.fi/linux/LFS/
>
> Wondering if anyone had tried it?

Ext2 supports filesystems greater than 2gb, just not individual files (at
least on x86, on alpha and other 64-bit platforms files larger than 2gb
are supported). If you don't need individual files >2gb, there is no
reason to go to a solution like this. Although, it certainly looks
interesting. It'll be good to get something like this included in base
distributions of Linux once it gets stable enough.. once it's stable, it
will allow developers for applications that require files >2gb to start
developing on linux. (One example I'd LOVE to see on Linux is video
editing applications.. I just hate having NT crash halfway through
rendering a video.)

----
Nate Carlson
the infinite loop