Re: [TCLUG:7575] More Multia stuff...

Ben Beuchler wrote:

> Anywho, I've been researching drive options for my lovely new Multia and it
> appears that I can go one of four ways: 2.5" IDE, 3.5" IDE, 2.5" SCSI, 3.5"
> SCSI.  As I've read on several pages that the 3.5" options tend to generate
> more heat than it can handle, I'm leaning towards the 2.5" IDE drive.  There
> certainly seem to be plenty around for <$75 in sizes more then large enough
> to be useful.  I've also found a couple of suppliers for the elusive 44-pin
> IDE cables necessary for the smaller drives.  There does appear to be a
> rather kludgy way to make it work with normal 40-pin IDE, but I dislike
> kludgy.  The OEM floppy drives are available for $39.  The same distributor
> also carries the OEM brackets designed to mount a 2.5" drive in the front
> bays.  Anyone found out anything about other (cheaper) models of FDDs that
> might fit?
>
> Incidentally, there also seems to be more options then the standard 640X480
> VGA graphics.  I've found a couple of charts listing all of the possible
> jumper settings and there resulting graphics modes.
>
> I can dig up the links for any of the above pieces of info, if anyone is
> interested...
>
> Question:  Since I don't have access to an external SCSI CD-ROM, can anyone
> point me to information on performing an FTP install of Linux?  I should
> have my DSL line in by the time I have my Multia up and running.  If not,
> I'll just set up an FTP server on my LAN...

  I was just wondering how it all worked out for you, and would like to see any
links you
have found for hardware.
 Due to a shipping glitch I _just today_ received my Multia.  can't beleive how
small it is!
BTW they do have more, but I see that they are now selling Bare Bones units for
$79
The PIA delivery dates keep getting pushed back, probbably didn't help that RAM
prices
have recently trippled.
RS