Unsent Message Returned to Sender

Notice to Sender
================

This message was received by this installation but could not be
delivered to its intended cc:Mail recipient(s).

  Original subject: Re: [TCLUG:9221] LILO: easier way to choose what OS to boot?

Intended recipient(s) who DID NOT receive this message:

  kyle.johnson..@ccmail.reliastar.com

The following cc:Mail error(s) were recorded:

  ***  Message recipient is unknown  ***

-------- Original Message Text --------
Ok, just a thought, and a VERY hackish way to do things, but, one possibility
would be to have multiple lilo.conf files, all identical, except for the order
in which the 'defaults' are placed.

lilo.conf.win would have the default order of win, linux, et al.
lilo.conf.linux would have the order of linux, win, et al.

and so on...

Then, just rerun lilo:
#/sbin/lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf.win -v -v -v

to have win become the default, and:
#/sbin/lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf.linux -v -v -v

to have linux boot first.

Granted...this only works from linux side of things, and your other suggestions
would be nice to have...I've run into that problem many times...Particularily
with my wife....she boots up the box, hoping for windows, and get linux, and now
she has to reboot the machine, but she's afraid she'll break linux if she
does....and so on...

In her case, the solution I've found is to just always boot into windows for
her, and when I need to, I can override it to linux...but a switch would be
nice...perhaps a lilo for windows?

Hrm...another thought...

Install lilo to a group of floppies, and ALWAYS boot from the floppy...
to boot win, insert the WIN disk, to boot OS/2 put in that disk, and so on,
until you put in the LINUX disk to boot linux...

I'm thinking thats probably the best solution for you...its easy to impliment,
makes sense to the average user, and is pretty much what you need(Though I agree
a bit more robustness from lilo would be HAPPY).

Brian J. Ackermann