Partitioning Q

A Redhat install question:
I was helping a friend install Redhat 6.1 today, and encountered an
interesting problem.  When it was time to set up partitions, Disk Druid
would not let me create new partitions on the second hd (hdb).  Any new
partitions would be created on hda, regardless of what was selected as
an allowable drive.  We could delete partitions on either drive, but
nothing more.
I ran out of ideas, so I now turn to the collective expertise of the list.
 Can anyone tell me what causes this?  What kind of workaround is there, or
is there a command/keystroke/incantation that I am missing?

Any ideas, suggestions, and words of advice are appreciated.

Thanks,
  --Larry

----L. Crisp-----------------cris0027@tc.umn.edu---
           Cognito sui generis ergo sum