Re: [TCLUG:9215] bash config files on Slackware

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Ben Beuchler wrote:

> After having my hand held by RedHat, I figured it was time to jump off the deep
> end and try Slackware 4.0.  It's running quite nicely and it's CERTAINLY not
> holding my hand!
>
> However, I seem to be having some difficulty with the normal shell config
> scripts.  To start with, ~/.bashrc wouldn't be processed unless I added it to
> /etc/profile.  Isn't that supposed to be run whether /etc/profile exists or
> not?  It certainly wasn't called by /etc/profile in Red Hat.

Add a variable to .profile or /etc/profile to set up your ENV variable
ENV=$HOME/.bashrc; export ENV

By default, RedHat's .bash_profile file contains this line
BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc

and, later in the file, exports it.  It's a non-POSIX way to accomplish
the same thing.

Check out the man page for bash.  It explains ENV and BASH_ENV in detail.

Chris