RE: [TCLUG:9167] Pine 4.20

>On my email program wishlist is better ways to manage old messages.
>I keep (don't delete, keep 'forever') a few hundred K of recieved and sent
>messages each month.  From time to time I find it useful to look up old
>messages and I find it easier to keep a fairly large number of messages
>than to decided what to keep and what to toss in too much detail.
>I tend to keep things in chronological order but some times it's nice to
>group related messages together.
        I personally extract any mail messages I want to save, to text
files. this offers a lot more portability than keeping them as mail
messages. in some ways it's more hasslesome, without a GUI or quasi-GUI text
file browser (like most mailers have); but i've never found it to be a real
drawback (it's pretty unusual for me to go back and look at those old msgs,
so lack of use means lack of need). 'less', 'more', and 'grep' are adequate
for finding stuff. (I have a DOS grep; and a browser called 'list' which
works reasonably well, similar to 'less' in some ways, a bit more extensive
in others).

what tools are there for cataloging/managing large amounts of text files?
I'm sure it's a common problem with way more answers than I really wanted to
know about... :>

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN