Re: [TCLUG:9254] nfs exports

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         I wish to export a home directory from one machine, and mount it on
> another, for backup purposes.
>         I created the nfs export, it's in /etc/exports, looks right.
>         I try mounting it (as root), 'mount -t nfs
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/<username> /mnt/<username)'; but it tells me
> "permission denied".
>         what's going wrong here?
>
>         also, I'm wary of how secure this setup is... i'd rather do it over
> SSH or the like. however, I have no idea how SSH works or is set up (am
> trying to get around to reading the stuff at ssh.fi).
>
> any advice?
>
> thanks much!
> Carl Soderstrom
> System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
> Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
> carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091

What does the line in /etc/exports look like? Should be something like
this:

/home 10.0.0.2/255.255.255.255(rw)

This would allow host 10.0.0.2 to mount /home with read-write permissions.
Of course, you can change 'rw' to 'ro' to only allow read-only access. If
you wanted to allow your whole subnet, you would do something like:

/home 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)

just for reference's sake. HIH.

----
Nate Carlson