Re: [TCLUG:9290] Hot System Backups and an active MySQL Database

The safest way to backup any db is cold.  But if you must run a hot backup
you need to know of the db is running a transaction log.  If the db does not
support a transaction log, then doing a hot backup is very risky.
Because when you do a hot backup not all of the db files may be in sync
from what is on tape to what is live/hot, especially if you had any
transactions written to the db during the backup period.  If the db supports
transaction logs, then hot backups can then restored from any point from which
a db failure occured plus any logs created during and after the hot
backup period.

Quoting Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net):