GCC not working

I recently installed Mandrake 6.1 (got sick of fighting with Slackware...).
Anywho, I must have been pretty tired when I did the installation, because I
somehow forgot to include the c stuff.   So... I wandered over to one of the
Mandrake mirrors and couldn't find it in the regular RPMS directory, but it was
over in the 'Mandrake Cooker' directory.  I installed gcc-2.95.1-3mdk and
gcc-cpp-2.95.1-3mdk and one other library that rpm indicated gcc needs.
Anyway, I went to build a program yesterday and it gave me a rather interesting
error during the './configure' stage.  The relevant section is quoted below:

<--snip-->

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot create executables.

-------

Did I install the wrong compiler?  Did I screw up something else?

I'm certainly confused...

Ben