newbie kernel questions...

        I finally got a new kernel to compile under RedHat (it seemed much
easier under Debian, but maybe I got lucky). I'm trying to install it, and
don't understand exactly how this is supposed to go.
        I copied the old /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz.old; then copied
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage to /boot/vmlinuz
        I edited /etc/lilo.conf to such:
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=0
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1

image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
        label=old
        root=/dev/hda1

I tried to leave alone stuff that I didn't fully understand.
I tried running /sbin/lilo thereafter, and it tells me:
        'Kernel /boot/vmlinuz is too big'
which seems strange, since the old kernel was 622K, and my new, leaner
kernel is only 451K.

questions:
what does /boot/vmlinux do? i'm guessing it's the uncompressed version of
the kernel. is it generated at boot time, or do I have to copy the one from
/usr/src/linux/ ?

why is it 'vmlinux' instead of 'linux'? I can see the name 'vmlinuz' comes
from 'compressed vmlinux', but why the 'vm'?

why is the kernel compressed?

why does lilo tell me that /boot/vmlinuz is too big, when it's smaller than
the previous one?

why is there no man page for lilo, and only these doc files? (man pages are
eminently more convenient, IMHO).

thanks,
Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.