PHP and mySQL Configuration

I am needing a little help to get mySQL running with PHP3. I am
following along with the PHP/mySQL Tutorial at
http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/. I seem to have Apache and PHP
working together since my "Hello World" page works. When I get to
page 5 of lesson #1 I issue the phpinfo() command and find that the
MySQL extension is not a part of my PHP configuration. I am supposed
to get something like that shown here:
http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/99/21/stuff2a/phpinfo.html  -- but
I have no entries for mySQL in the 'Extensions' section.

I am running a Redhat 6.0 server with the latest mod_php..... rpm
installed from the updates/6.0 section of Redhat. If anyone can tell
me what I need to do I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike Glaser