Re: [TCLUG:9416] MediaOne Roadrunner and Linux

Bob Rogers wrote:

<snip>

> Also, I've been reading about ADSL providers going from DHCP to
> PPP-over-Ethernet, thus shutting out Linux users and foiling the use of IP
> masquerade.  Has anyone heard of cable modems being subject to this
> limitation?

Huh? How does that shut out linux users?  For the record, this goes over
a 512k ADSL line which uses PPP for the connection between the
router/modem and the ISP, vector.  This way if I move and USWest is a
day late removing the old (for some reason they usually do that quickly
... ), someone can't bring in a modem and connect unless they also know
my username and password.  I have also heard that PPP is simplified over
bridging, but I do not know.

Anyway, what I have seen so far is USWest going for the "I only want
high-speed if it costs the same as I am paying now" customer, which
actually looks like more work, and of course, even less support, if that
is possible.  This requires WinXX because you have to "connect" and
"disconnect" so that they can save on IPs.

So they keep the ultralow budget stuff for Windows.  Thats fine with me,
but it isn't all that much more for the 256k basic line, anyway.

-Chris

--
| Chris McKinley           | http://lugh.net  |