Re: [TCLUG:9550] Security Tidbit

Generally xdm is used on most systems.

A) startx is depricated by the X people. (read that in some docs
somewhere, that they are not going to support/update startx if it somehow
becomes obselete, it would get upgraded anyhow but xdm is perferred)

B) xdm/wdm/gdm/etc.. are usually very decent and are more secure than
startx.

Most public access machines I have seen force xdm.  Console access on a
linux box to run x should be disallowed for exactly the same reasons you
said (zap gives a shell. etc).

---
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> #nicnac@efnet 612.301.0265
      destiny's admin       | <YodaNsO> fear leads to anger,
 http://www.ringworld.org   |           anger leads to hate,
finger me for gnupg/pgp key |           hate leads to solaris.