New kernel trouble

I just built my new kernel (thanks for the help finding as86, BTW) and
eliminated a lot of extra crap that was built in.  I also eliminated a lot
of things that were compiled as modules.  Anyway, I went through the
necessary stuff to build the kernel.  Then I did a 'make modules' and
'make modules_install'.  I setup lilo and rebooted into my new kernel.
Everything seemed to be going very nicely until it came to something about
'Finding module depencies' at which point it hung.  Can't seem to get it
past that point...  Fortunately I kept my old kernel!

Any suggestions?

Ben

--
"There is no spoon"