E-mail / Sendmail

I am looking for a way to have linux send e-mail to a POP3/SMTP
Windows mail server running on a LAN. When I do some ftp mirroring
the program sends mail to a local user on the linux box. I just read
this with 'mail' but would like the messages forwarded to a different
server.

I have sendmail running on the server, but I don't know the first
thing about it. Can it be configured for to forward the mail to the
other server (I would guess it could!), or can I access the linux
server with a POP3 host??  What options do I have - I know little
about how unix/linux systems handle mail.

Thanks,
Mike