Realtime sound

I've been using XMMS to listen to MP3s, but it has some problems.  I don't
particularly like skipping, so I like to do anything I can to avoid that..  I've
managed to set up XMMS to use realtime scheduling, so the sound doesn't skip as
much as it used to.  Unfortunately, I'm also usind the ESound Daemon, which is
good in the sense that it lets you have multiple programs play sounds at the
same time, but not good in the sense that it doesn't appear to be the most
efficient program ever written...

Even when the system is under fairly light loads, the audio can skip quite
heavily (it gets really annoying after a while..)  Which brings me to my
question -- does anyone know how I can give ESD realtime priority like XMMS?
XMMS has that functionality fairly well built-in (just run it as root, or make
it suid root), but I can't seem to find any info on getting realtime priority
for ESD.  Does anyone have any pointers?

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   I'm not nearly as think