Re: [TCLUG:8117] X11 Memory Usage

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Michael Hicks wrote:

> Does anyone have pointers on how to reduce how much memory X uses?

Erase X.

> If I run 'gtop' immediately after starting X, it appears that X is using
> 50 MB of memory (although I may be reading that wrong -- I'm looking at
> the 'Size' column..)

Do 'cat /proc/<pid>/status' where <pid> is the pid of your X process.
That'll give you the straight poop, in case gtop is wrong.

But 50MB is not really all that out of line, sadly. Especially when you
consider that xlib is loaded into every X-based process that you have
running. (The faint of heart should not be shown how much memory xclock
requires.)

> Anyway, I'm just trying to find ways to reduce my swap usage..

One thing you can try is using a toned-down window manager like aewm or
lwm. I've had good luck with that.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerFireWorks.com/