Re: [TCLUG:8213] Updated DSL questions

Quoting Bill Koob (wkoob@minn.net):
> At 11:33 PM 9/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >4. How many PVCs are on my side of the circuit (i.e., What is the ISPs %
> >ATM utilization)?
> >

> I've got nothing to add - but would like to understand what is ment by
> PVCs & ATM.

ATM is a way of moving packets, like Frame Relay.

Overly zealous USWest stuff on ATM:
http://www.uswest.com/disclosures/netdisclosure400.html

ATM on Linux:
http://lrcwww.epfl.ch/linux-atm/

PVCs, hmmm, parallel virtual circuit. I am terrible at explaining things. But,
I think the best way to describe this is you have a big connection that is
shared by lots of people. You use PVCs to establish a "circuit" between the
ISP and the client. This is how the ISP "knows" which traffic is from client A
and which traffic is from client B. Because the traffic comes from a specific
PVC.

Maybe one of the USWest people can give a better example :-)
--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700