Port forwarding: ssh/ipchains

Ok, so I learned all about ipchains port forwarding at the tclug meeting
last weekend  (good job by the way, Amy) and I am also aware of a similar
functionality with secure shell.  What would be the advantages of using one
over the other?

I have a small internal lan connecting to the internet w/ dsl over a static
ip address, and i want to be able to access services on my internal systems
by accessing the outside one with a given port number.  My guess is that
ipchains port forwarding would be fine to access the internal systems and
ssh would be better if i wanted to forward ports to/from machines located
somewhere else entirely.  I  was hoping that someone could confirm or deny
my educated guess with a guess having the benefit of better education.

-allie