RE: Other options than xDSL or cable

DirecTV offers a service called DirecPC that uses their satellite net for
the
incoming link, though it still relies on phone for the outgoing dataflow.
Price
is pretty good compared to xDSL or cable, but the downside is that you'd
need a Win95/98/NT box for it since there is no *nix client for it. Also, as
a short-term solution it beats either of the other options since you can
rent
the DirecPC boxes month-to-month, IIRC

Carl mentioned a wireless connection between his digs and his office.
When I was working at a satellite data systems company out east whose
name I won't mention, the CEO had a T-1 line into his house and provided
a link to the offices about a block away (~500m) by a microwave link that
worked pretty well unless somebody was using the kitchen microwave at
his place...took us a month to figure out what the problem was. Anyway,
the point is that the gear is out there and works pretty well. Not sure
about
the cost, though.

Kevin Trainor
"Well if the money talks, why won't it speak to me?"
     -Jason & The Scorchers

All opinions my own, not Wells Fargo's.