Re: [TCLUG:8342] Multiple Ethernet

>I'm a little confused here -- what you're saying here makes sense, but
>doesn't seem to jibe with what you described earlier.

Yeah...thats probably the case...I'm not currently using the configuration
I will be using in the end.

Final config is Router <> HUB <> Firewall <> Switch <> Workstations ..

Current config is  Router <> Switch <> Workstations.

Basically, I can't put the firewall between the workstations until its forwarding
packets so that our workstations can get out...you konw the drill...

>      Your router should be connected to your hub, and then the hub
>connected to eth0 (your 1st ethernet card).  Eth0 should be configured to be
>in the same IP domain as the router. (This is another thing that confused me
>about your description -- you say your ISP assigned you 192.168.6.xxx?
>That's not a routable IP -- that's one of the reserved Class C addresses for
>internal network use.  If this is the case, your router must *already* be
>doing IP masquerading.)

Ok, more confusion.  My ISP is not commercial, so they do things a bit differently
in some regards.  Most of their clients are medical and want interconnectivity between,
and need lots of IP's, but don't want to buy static ones.  So this ISP serves them
192.168 from its own Masqing routers, so that all these hospitals and such can have
'free' static ip's, as much as they need anyhow....

Well, so we get some IP's routed to us from this ISP, along with 14 statics in the
205.218.57.x range.  Our router is configured to be on both these domains.
You see, this situation is a bit confusing....

 >    Your second network card, eth1, should be plugged into a seperate hub
>or switch, and your internal network run from there.  eth1 should be on a
>different domain than eth0 -- 192.168.100.xxx or something.  That domain
>should be the one you use for all internal machines.  Then all you have to
>do is enable ip forwarding and masquerading (see manpages on ipchains or
>ipfwadm, depending on your version of Linux), and you should be ready to
>rock.

One thing I had been thinking is that we would stop using the 192.168.6.x IPs
from the ISP and just use our own...but, this may interfere with us being able to
support our medical clients remotely, via Timbuktu, so I'm not sure....

But, I've got your suggestion right in my head at least.

Right now, eth0 is set to an addy on 205.218, and eth1 is on 192.168.

Both of these are plugged into the switch, which goes to the router, which
is forwarding BOTH domains.  Right now, internet stuff works, but no internal
networking works on these two cards.  I can't see other computers on our
hubs, and they cant see me.

So, I hope that clears up things a bit more.  I'm still not certain about what I need
to do....everything I KNOW to try I've done...