RE: [TCLUG:8364] cygwin

> >Grab the cygwin toolkit.  It has all that stuff.  head, tail, ls, tar,
> >gzip, gcc, bash, etc.
> >http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/
>         grabbed it, tried it. it's interesting.
>         seems to run rather slow, tho. i suppose it's more of an
> emulator/interpreter of some sort, that sits on top of the DOS kernel.
>         how do you change drives in it, anyway? It looks like it
> recognizes
> other drive letters; but I can't change to them. (would be nice
> if it would
> handle other drive letters better than the DOS lettered-drive
> monstrosity...)

  Somehow or other, it does emulate UNIX-style drive mounting.  I don't
remember exactly how the syntax went, but I was able to mount my "D:" drive
as "/mnt/d", or even mount it on top of existing directories.  While this is
pretty neat, it only works while you're in the bash shell or using the other
cygwin tools -- you won't be able to actually visit that directory through
File Manager.

  This was running on NT Workstation 4.0, a long time ago.  YMMV.