Re: [TCLUG:8536] cpio examples needed...

To create a cpio archive:

        cd source_directory
        find . -depth -xdev | cpio -ovF file_name

NOTE: IF YOU DON'T 1ST CD TO SOURCE DIRECTORY, IT WILL INCLUDE
LEADING / AND WHEN YOU RESTORE IT WILL BE ABSOLUTE PATH, NOT RELATIVE!

To list archive:

        cpio -tvF file_name

To extract archive:

        cd where_you_want_to_extract_archive
        cpio -idmvF file_name

>         what do people use (commands & strategies) for tape archiving on
> their systems? I've heard that cpio is better than tar (tho I forget why);
> and that afio is better than cpio, because it is more resistant to archive
> corruption. (I don't have afio on hand right now, tho.)
>         tried RH's 'taper' utility; and it segfaulted on me. so my
> confidence in that thing went down the tubes.

you also need taper on a running system in order to be able to restore;
if your entire hard disk goes, you have to reinstall the OS then reload.
I use tar for all my backups and haven't had any problems.  I NFS copy
my laptop image onto a desktop system with lots of diskspace, tar it up
and burn it on a cdrom.  In a total disk failure, you can replace the
drive, boot off tomsrtbt (root-boot) floppy and extract tar files via
NFS or from locally mounted cdrom.

tomsrtbt is available on sunsite; it's a nifty boot floppy that has
almost everything you need on it for recovery purposes.

-scot