Re: [TCLUG:8523] Cable Vs DSL

"Schoenhofen, Kelly" wrote:

> Yeah, I didn't like that article (saw the link on slashdot as well).
>
> I don't think the writer is trying to be a bad guy or anything, it's just
> that his "tests" are all very localized to his area. Everyone I know in
> southern MN that has a two-way cable modem says reliability sucks, and all
> my friends with DSL say aside from service hiccups that last ~1 minute, it's
> been rock solid for 9 months. His ping time test also is backwards what my
> friends and I have experienced - we've seen DSL kick the pants of the
> average 2-way cable modem in MN.

Yeah, well, Simson Garfinkel is a known fruitcake (a smart fruitcake,
but nutty all the same).

There was an article linked to by Slashdot a couple days back about why
FreeBSD is better than Linux; the usual ill-founded elitist rant (which
is all the more sad, because there are some very good things about
FreeBSD).

Basically, anyone who would set fire to a NeXT Cube is not balanced
psychologically and should be ignored or sedated. He's also a co-author
of *The Unix-Haters' Handbook* -- and a BSD developer. Go figure.

Heh.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerfireworks.com/

  'I can't understand why people are afraid of new ideas.
  I'm afraid of the old ones.'
  -- John Cage