smbmount strangeness

        I just tried mounting a windows share on my new linux server. I got
it mounted with smbmount; and it seems fine.
        this is done with samba-2.0.3; much improved over samba-1.9.18 which
I was using before. the directory I care about in the share i'm mounting has
16,000 files in it. 2.0.3 will mount that, 1.9.18 wouldn't.
        the strange part comes when listing the files.
        ls will list all the files nicely. small blip in server load on the
windows side.
        ls -alF --color (my preferred listing method); will set the windows
server trying to slap bits on the wire as fast as possible. the load is
similar to trying to copy all the files from that dir on the windows machine
(a process that takes a couple of hours when I do backups over the network).
the actual load (judged using 'top') on the linux side is miniscule.

what's going on here?
        is 'ls' not able to get all the information it needs normally; and
so trying to DL the entire dir in order to get the data?

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091