Re: [TCLUG:8727] Sound-Blaster Compatible sound card

David Christian wrote:

> I have a motherboard (the Asus ATX P5) to be exact which comes with a
> built-in PCI sound card from ESS.  It's supposedly Sound-Blaster 16
> compatible, but I'm not sure how to get linux to recognize it or deal with
> it.
>
> Is there a module I should load, or some program I should run?

You may need OSS.  I have a Compaq Presario that has the ESS 1887 chip.
I thought I wouldn't be able to use it and would have to eat up a slot,
but it turns out that OSS does talk to it (and is the only driver
currently that does.)

OSS isn't free, but I thought it was worth it ($20, w/ updates, as I
recall.)

Phil Mendelsohn

--
if ( $income > $expenses OR $time != $money )
      set hell_frozen = true;