Re: [TCLUG:8782] RedHat 6.0 and hostname and C compiler

On Sep 29, 1999, David Christian <dchristian@macalester.edu> wrote:
> Okay, I'm having all sorts of problems now :(
>
> I was looking to use CVS to do both gnome and enlightenment (please, no
> messages about how either of these suck).

You won't hear that from me...I use both quite happily.

> Unfortunately, this seems to break X (which shouldn't rely on any of
> those, should it?) as well as gcc, which a configure script says now can't
> create executables, as well as the ability for a configure script to tell
> what my host system type is.

Yeah, that's a funky one.  Apparently if gcc doesn't work (in my case,
awhile back, I had my symbolic link to gcc screwed up), autoconf bails
out with a complaint about the host name.  Unfortunately, it hits that
error before it can do a proper check of your current compilers.  Rather
unfortunate.  I must've wasted a couple hours fishing through the various
m4 macro files that come with autoconf, before uncovering this little
cherry.  (c:  Learned a lot, though.  IIRC, the reason it fails on the
host name is that that's the first place it happens to compile a test
program.

Did the glibc packages solve the problems?

John