Re: [TCLUG:8668] Newbie opinion question

Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Clayton T. Fandre wrote:
>
> > > Well, that's great. Could you post a 'cat /proc/<E pid>/status' to the
> > > list, please? I'm curious, but not curious enough to download the CVS
> > > version. :)
> >
> > VmSize:     4860 kB
>
> Does this bother anyone else? :P Entire OSs can fit in less space than
> that.

I'm not saying that e is not a little bloated, but nowdays memory is
cheap. Buy a little more memory and don't worry about it. For all the
features it has, I don't think 4 Meg is a lot. And when I say features I
don't just mean the 'look and feel' of it. Read some of the source code
and you'll see what I mean.

I think you need to understand what Rasterman and Mandrake are trying to
do to really appreciate e. They are creating a windows environment the
way they want it. The best part about it is: If you don't like it, don't
run it. This isn't Microsoft.

> > I am running it on a PIII-500 w/ 128Megs at work, and a K5-233 w/ 64Meg
> > here at home. Both run fine.
>
> Uh huh.

Uh huh is right.