Re: [TCLUG:15451] Postgres/MySQL

> *sigh*  Any reason you have to use Visual Basic?  Try downloading the
Forte for
> Java IDE from Sun, the JDK 1.2.2, and write it in Java. ;-)

Or better yet - download JBuilder Foundation.  Totally free and Linux
native.  Based upon JDK1.2.2 also.  The JDK is a resource hog - so if you
want a server side application - throw a lot of memory at it.

> At least then you'll be able to use your program on other platforms.  If
you're planning on
> using an interpreted language, I see no real benefit to using a
Windows-centric
> language.

I recommend Java as well.  However, many desktops are Windows - and it may
be very appropriate to use Visual Basic if the organization is such that
requires it.  MySQL is certainly cheaper than MS SQL Server.  Not quite as
powerful though (no stored procedures).  Java is far slower than Visual
Basic - so this may play a part in the decision as well.  Lastly, ongoing
support for Visual Basic will be far cheaper than the corresponding Java
application.

If none of the above restrictions apply, why not try writing it in C++ using
Qt?  There is a licensing fee for the Windows version of the libraries, but
it is freely available and 100% portable to *NIX - if you stick to Qt calls.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net