Filesystem structures (was: [TCLUG:15481] Faeriedist)

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> Standard file locations, eh?  Are they using /usr/doc or /usr/share/doc this
> week?  (Where can I find a copy of the FHS standard that they (claim to?) be
> using?  I want to know what this 'share' *&^! is supposed to mean.)

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-toc.html

With relation to /usr/share, see:
4.8 /usr/share : Architecture-independent data

Some Debian packages still use /usr/doc simply because Debian is in the
process of moving to FHS from FSSTND (which also had solid standard
locations for things, but had room for improvement, like most things). Note
that you can do 'cd /usr/doc/<packagename>' for *any* package, even ones
that have switched to FHS, because for ease-of-use during the transitional
period, symlinks are placed in /usr/doc.

And when I compare my path settings for my Linux box(en) to the settings for
my account on St. John's Irix system, I suddenly develop great respect for
the FHS. I haven't had to touch /etc/csh.login or /etc/profile since I
installed (though I have, for minor tweaking, of course...).

P.S. Note that I say this independently of the discussion of Faeriedist
(it sounds cool, guys, make it happen if you want it).

Pacem in Terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock