Re: [TCLUG:15647] UPDATE: SGI Boxes

  Hi,

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, David S. Cargo wrote:

> In general, what use would one of these boxes be?

Well, assuming this is a 24-bit framebuffer box...

You get to have a machine who's 3D abilities rival those of any current
consumer PC card, even though it's like 5 years old. At least in the
xlockmore arena. Indys are also REALLY cool looking. And you get a
17" Sony Trinitron-based monitor.

It's a UNIX box, you can do whatever UNIX stuff you want with it.

> If we had a bunch, could we have an Indy installfest and configure
> them?

I think they're preinstalled, but I'm sure we could do that... have to get
a bunch of people to bring external SCSI CDROMs though...

> I would be interested in one if it would be useful for something.

My plan is to set it up in the livingroom running ElectroPaint.

> One key question in my mind is what would $275 for an Indy box get
> me versus spending $275 to upgrade an existing PC running Linux.

(A) It's $225, isn't it?
(B) This is a fully-functional machine. Granted, it's a bit old. I guess
    it is a bit of a curiosity (or nostalgic) item.

-Yaron