Re: [TCLUG:15722] Docs in 'share'

Well, Dave, I don't know when you got involved with Debian, but I've been using
it for almost two years now.  I seem to be able to stay on top of the news
through the debian-news list and the debian-announce list.  You can get in on
the policy discussion on debian-policy and the developers discussion on
debian-devel (I believe).

There will always be debate as to what the "right" policy is, even among the
Debian ranks (especially among the Debian ranks), so if you want to influence
the process, get involved.

I have one last point to make that revolves around the distinction between
types of users and what is expected of them.  I don't consider any member of
this list as an "end-user," at least by the stereotypical definition.  An
end-user installs software, clicks the mouse, and expects to see an icon for
execution, help documents, and the web page of the product.  The end-user
expects the software to work right the first time, and expects the software to
dictate how it is used.  It should never let the end-user do something to
"break it."

We, on the other hand, are systems administrators.  When you install a Linux
system on your computer, you become more than an end-user.  In fact, you cannot
expect to function as an end-user in Linux unless someone else is the systems
administrator.  Yes, we know there are projects and commercial distributions
that are trying to bring Linux to the "end-user," but that is not what makes a
real Linux user, IMHO.  As a systems administrator, it is your DUTY to learn
the policies of the system.  If you run Red Hat, read the RH policy manual.  If
you use Debian, read the Debian policy manual.  We are the people who EXPECT
software to break once in a while, and we are the people who are expected to
fix it.  With Linux, WE are in charge, and it's our responsibility to KNOW how
to use our systems.

The philosophy of UNIX, and thus Linux, is that the user *has* a clue.  The
user KNOWS how to use the system, where to find the documentation, how to
compile a program, where to place the libraries.  I may be an elitist in saying
this, but if you're not willing to do your homework, don't complain about not
finding documentation or help or software not working.  Use Windows.

Now, before anyone replies to this, here is my disclaimer:

<disclaimer>
	I am in no way referring to the practice or abilities of any of the
	list members.  I am simply stating my opinion on the differences
	between Windows user and people with a clue.  If you feel this
	statement resembles you in some way, don't take it personally.
</disclaimer>

OH.  BTW.  I didn't get a copy of the last letter in my mailbox.  I don't know
why, but I may not get your replies...  Email is a little strange today.  I do
believe that mailing me directly will work, so include me in the CC if you
want.  Anyway, back to work.

--
^chewie

PGP signature