RE: [TCLUG:15736] Rant on consumer bandwidth, was:MediaOne

Heres the deal folks.  You don't pay 40$ for a cable or DSL link in this
world and get the ability to serve websites off of it.  You dont get to be
a mac-daddy huge server either.  You aren't paying for the amount of
bandwidth you want to use.

Yeah, i can see the periodic ssh and stuff.  Use dhs to keep track of the
ip then :)

But hell, this is *cheap* bandwidth.  Since I want more flexibility, and
'cause i want to get good connections out to anywhere, I'm thinking about
Covad DSL with speakeasy.net later this month.  99$/month.  608kbit
down/128 up. (or something like that).  Not as fast, but should be rock
solid (its using internap(.com) for the bandwidth) and they support
servers and are cool about giving out statics for 3$/mo as many as you can
pack on the dsl (i think the modem does 13 computers max).

See. you pay for what you get.  Pay a bit more (maxing out at about
400$/mo for 1mbit deticated with a C block from VISI) and you get a bit
back.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> #nicnac@efnet 612.301.0265
http://www.ringworld.org/  finger:dieman@destiny.ringworld.org