Re: [TCLUG:15736] MediaOne

Actually, I learned a little secret from someone I know who works at USWest:
A lot of people near the TC can't get DSL from USWest, so they call Onvoy.
Onvoy, of course, wants to be a major DSL competitor.  The thing is, Onvoy
doesn't install the phone lines, USWest does.  So when you can't buy DSL from
USWest and Onvoy takes you on as a DSL customer, USWest is _legally_ required
to run the lines so that Onvoy can give you DSL, since they control all of the
lines, and therefore, could monopolize over the DSL market.  So, once you've
gotten your Onvoy DSL, you'll then be eligible for DSL from USWest, since they
had to run new lines for you to be an Onvoy customer.  Crazy, eh? :)

Gabe