Re: [TCLUG:15736] MediaOne

Just had a windows box sitting there when they came. I did a self install
and they were
here about an hour. They don't seem to be that concerned about what you do.
It's just that
they don't support at all unless you're running the standard setup. They
Linksys router will
work with any OS, but you'd have to fake it on a support call, or connect to
a Windows box
before making the call. The guys that installed saw my linux boxen, etc.

Interesting though, RoadRunner does not publish the IP addresses for their
DNS servers. I
tried to get that info from support and then from a direct chat on the RR
website. I was connected
using the Onvoy DNS. I was politely told that they use DHCP and that they
did not have the info.
So, I just ran winipcfg will direct connected. The IPs are 24.26.163.32 &
24.26.163.33. Now the
secret's out.

It took 2 weeks after I placed the order until the install.

As far as the setup is concerned. After you have the RR working on their
standard setup, you take
the network cable off of the NIC and put it in the incoming of the Linksys.
Then connect to 1 of 4
switched 10/100 outgoing on the linksys. My Linksys is uplinked to another
hub. You program
the Linksys via it's on-board web server using your browser. That's it.
Takes about 15 minutes.
I'm using static ip addresses.

On the Onvoy side, I have a Flowpoint 144 Covad router. It's running NAT
also, and is hostmapping
on incoming to the box with the mail and web on it. Both routers are on the
same 10.0.0.x subnet.
I can determine which I use by changing the default gateway on a given
machine.

If anybody has any more questions, give me a call at 952-941-2192.

Bob