RE: [TCLUG:16002] scavenging laptops

do any of them have color displays??

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom [mailto:carls@agritech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 5:34 PM
To: tclug-list@mn-linux.org
Subject: [TCLUG:16002] scavenging laptops

        the company is currently throwing out a pile of old laptop
computers. I'm scavenging them out of the dumpster to see if any are vaguely
usable.
        mind you, these are 286s (IBM PS2s), 386s (Zenith Z-stars; which
probably aren't worth the scrap metal they're made from), with a couple of
486s and one pentium I found. (IBM Thinkpads).
        only problem is, these things were generally thrown away for a good
reason. :) (spontaneously shutting off; broken screen; cracked case; etc).
I'm just going to see if I can find anything usable in them... generally,
they've had the usable parts stripped out (all batteries, most HDDs, some
floppy drives).
        i do have a bunch of power supplies for them; which hopefully are
still good.

        odds on, these are good for gravity experiments (climb to the top of
a building and see if gravity still works on them); practice soldering
boards; and just taking apart to see what's inside. :)

oh, and they all show (and smell) their history of having been taken into
cattle barns. :)

anybody want something? not really sure I want to take a lot of extra junk
into my house, that I'll have to throw away later (there's enough of that as
it is!); so i'm not too big on saving many of them.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091