Re: [TCLUG:16064] SPARC fun

Nate Carlson <natecars@real-time.com> wrote:

>From ??? Fri Feb 19 09: 25
>Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10

>On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Brian wrote:
>
>> I'm having a grand old time with my attempts of getting Red Hat running on
>> my SPARCstation 5.  Both RH6.1 and RH6.2 hang when it starts formatting
>> partitions.  I suspect that it's related to a disk problem but since I
>> have no OS on the machine I can't verify this by any means.  Does anyone
>> know where I could find an ISO image of a live, bootable linux partition
>> for SPARC?  I'd like to boot linux off the CDROM and try diagnosing the
>> disk problems further from the command line.  If anyone has any ideas I'd
>> love to hear any suggestions.
>>

>I just did an install on a SPARCstation 1+ yesterday, and to get it
>working, I had to corrupt the partition table so it initialized the drive
>itself. I had the same symtoms.. locking up on format. I managed to
>corrupt the partition table somehow (dunno how, easiest way to do this is
>low-level it..), and then everything started working. Give it a shot?
>
>--
>Nate Carlson <natecars@real-time.com>   | Phone : (952)943-8700
>http://www.real-time.com                | Fax   : (952)943-8500

Cool.  This machine was originally running SunOS so I'm sure the partition table could use some rebuilding (and disk druid won't tell me what I want to know).  The main problem I have is that I don't have a floppy drive in this machine, and currently the hard drives are non-bootable.  I need to be able to boot an OS off of CD and be able to fix the drive.  Also, do you know of any low-level format utilities under linux?  Thanks!

-brian