Re: [TCLUG:16084] HP Optical Jukebox (was: [TCLUG:15619] Re: SGI INDY BOXEN)

--- Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <carls@agritech.com> wrote:
>         you've got a MicroVAX? (or just "did" have a MicroVAX?)
>         I wouldn't mind laying hands on a VAX one of these days...
> of
> course, I really should avoid that desire since I probably wouldn't
> do
> anything with it except make a table out of it. :)
>
>         back in college, our sysadmin had a VAX 11/730 at home,
> with a
> (really nice) IBM XT for a front end. he wanted to get rid of it;
> so he gave
> the stuff away for free to geeks who would take it away.
>         I got the XT (my first "real" computer). some friends of
> mine got
> the VAX. apparently they needed a refrigerator cart to move the
> thing; and
> just ended up using it for a coffee table in their apartment. :)

Yeah, the 11 series is by no means a small box.  I had a microvaxII
for a short while (got it at auction for $15), and hacked my way into
the OS via some bootloader trickery.  The most entertaining thing was
a note in the superuser's directory, obviously intended to be sent to
printers.

"For whoever recieves this message: Please call the helpdesk at
xxx-xxxx as we are needing to know the location of this printer"

When I found that, I literally fell off my chair laughing!

-Jonas