Re: [TCLUG:16120] Cable modem setup

Hi,
I am currently running Caldera Open Linux 2.3 and have set up exactly what you
are talking about.

I have my linux box with two NICs, one for the Media One connection to the
internet, and one for the connection to the LAN.  On my LAN, I have an NT 4.0
workstation.  The workstation uses the linux box as a gateway to the internet.

The first thing you need is to get DHCP working, I know that COL 2.3 comes with
DHCP compiled into the kernel, if you choose the full install.
Once you get the DHCP daemon working, you need to verify that both NIC's are
working ok.  As root, type (at the prompt) ifconfig.  You should see a list
that looks similar to this:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
          inet addr:xx.xxx.xxx.xxx Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.254.0
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:291 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x1000

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
          inet addr:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:3 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0x1400

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

You need to make sure that both cards, on the third line, say UP.  If they say
DOWN, then they're not working properly.

As far as the gateway setup, I'll have to get back to you, I don't remember
what I did!

TTYL8R

Eric