Re: [TCLUG:16135] external disk arrays

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> >There is a local company that I did some consulting work for that does
> >that kind of stuff.  I can't tell how competitive they are in order to
> >compare.  I was working on the software side.  The name of the company
> >is Rorke Data and their website is http://www.rorke.com  They are down
> >here is Eden Prairie.
>
>         I don't suppose they have a showroom where we can come drool over
> their E10Ks or SGI Origin 2000s?

Rorke is a cool company, but it's the situation that you get what you pay
for.  You can probably beat their prices, but that's not how they
compete.  They sell stuff for more of a niche market - A/V production
applications.  Sonic Solutions (my old digital editor) used to be *very*
particular about which drives had the sustained throughput to be used in
multi-channel / networked (FDDI / CDDI) systems.  You used to have to pay
too much to get drives from Sonic, but Rorke finally wore them down and
became a "dealer."  Sure, you could go get the same drive cheaper
somewhere else, but when your livelihood depended on it's operation *and*
maintenance / replacment repsonse time, Rorke ended up being the better
deal than www.twerpware.com

They don't sell computers -- just drives and related systems.

And John Rorke plays drums for the band "Peal," who are a lot of fun,
too!

Whatever...

Phil M

--