Re: [TCLUG:16210] SGI Indy Picture

> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Nate Carlson wrote:
>
> > what kind of stats do you want?  :)   i'm still trying to figure out
> > irix's equivilent of good 'ol 'free'...
>
> Yeah, exactly, and vmstat, stuff like that.
>
> > oh, and you guys gotta remember, i'm running irix 6.5.. which is _much_
> > more intensive than 6.2/5.3 (at least, so i've heard..)
>
> I had heard the same, which is why I asked.
>

> --
> Christopher Reid Palmer : innerfireworks.com

I don't remember where I found this link, but I found it interesting
to read:

Buying an Indy 2nd-hand Purchasing Advice
http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/indyinfo.html

It includes this snippet:

Then there's the choice of operating system. Most people interested in
an Indy today would want at least IRIX 6.2 on the system, but such
later OS releases like 6.2, and definitely 6.5, require a good main CPU
in order to give the user an acceptable level of daily-task
performance. When Indy was first released, no doubt things were simpler
and a user's demands lower (IRIX 5.3 and earlier), but in general I
would recommend that - if you don't intend to upgrade a system once
purchased - you should go for nothing less than a 150MHz R4400SC CPU,
no less than 64MB, and a disk no smaller than 1GB. The R4600SC 133MHz
CPU (512K L2 cache) might be acceptable to you, but I do not yet have
any performance data for it; I hope to fill that knowledge gap soon by
borrowing this type of CPU from the UK company OCF and running many
tests, such as those on my SGI General Performance Comparisons page. I
do know that the R4600PC 133MHz is too slow for my liking (I should
know - I run a lab of 18 such systems).

So, this one source considers the 133MHz to be too slow.  (I hope it
will be meeting my goals for price/performance.)

Certainly the performance for Java development is key for me.  At a
minimum I need the Java 1.1.8 JDK, Apache, and emacs (all of which
I see are available).

dsc