Old Netscape (was: Personal request)

Carl wrote:
>>Netscape 4.7 is such old tech.  I have issues using it anymore.
>but at least it doesn't crash as much as mozilla, and sucks less
>memory (important for those of us on limited memory budgets). :)
>I wonder if/when there will be a 'lean' build of Mozilla? no mailer,
>no newsreader, no IM, no 'search the internet' bulls**t, limited/no
wasteful
>toolbars... wonder how small we could make it?

This makes me wonder - for about 99% of my surfing I use
Netscape 3.02 Gold (for windows, unfortunately, still waiting
for the family budget to stretch to cover a Linux-compliant
modem)which seems to crash a lot less often than the 4.72
version. Is the same true of the Un*x versions? Seems to
me NS3.0/Un*x would eat a lot less RAM and disk space than
the 4.72 version, and crash less often as well, no?

>it'd be nice to get rid of the Java support (I wonder how many MB
>*that* takes?), but there's way too many sites out there that need it. ;(
>actually, if java support was made fairly modular and configurable (don't
>load it for a banner; just for a link you click), it might not be so bad
>(probably still have to deal with the bloated download and install package
tho).

You're probably right. 3.02 doesn't seem to be such a pain
in that department either, and so long as you don't want to
trade stocks or do your banking online, you should be fine.

Kevin Trainor
"Some people like to go out dancing
But other people like us, well we gotta work."
	--Lou Reed, "Sweet Jane"

All opinions my own, not Norwest's or Wells Fargo's.