Re: [TCLUG:16515] !

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom writes:
> >Yes, people, we are at 100 indys.
>         I see that we are at 116 now; and 50 indycams.
>         are there enough indycams to go around? I seem to remember a figure
> of about 30 of them available.

Where is the OS issue at?  Someone here (at SGI) thought they might be able
to look up what version of IRIX a machine is licensed for by the
serial number.  If you send me the serial number of that single machine
that was received, I'll see if this works.  We could probably at least get
an ISO for the right IRIX version (if we know what it is), and then
people could burn their own CDs.  Humm, the machines don't have CDs,
though, right?  I think that means we'll need to do an installfest
and do net-installs.

>         there will now be a significant contingent of Indy users in the TC
> area now.. so unfortunately we flooded out a lot of our bragging rights. :(
> on the upside, we'll have people to talk to about these things. This is one
> of the reasons i support a separate mailing list for owners/users of these
> things (unless there's a pre-existing SGI list that's reasonably
> newbie-friendly and wouldn't mind a flood of new users from one area...
> which I kind of doubt).

I'd vote for a separate mailing list.
Bob, do you want to create a list?  I can create one at sgi,
but the archive wouldn't be visible outside our firewall. :-(

Another source of information might be the existing newsgroups:

	comp.sys.sgi.admin:
	comp.sys.sgi.announce:
	comp.sys.sgi.apps:
	comp.sys.sgi.audio:
	comp.sys.sgi.bugs:
	comp.sys.sgi.graphics:
	comp.sys.sgi.hardware:
	comp.sys.sgi.marketplace:
	comp.sys.sgi.misc:
	comp.sys.sgi:

I don't read 'em, though, so I don't now if they're active or not.

>         there's also an opportunity here to get some attention from SGI
> themselves.. how do people think we could use that? should we have an
> IndySIG @ TCLUG, and invite a speaker from SGI? invite a speaker from SGI
> for a general TCLUG meeting (and hope it doesn't turn into an IRIX sales
> pitch, like their "Linux University" was)?

Ack.  SGI got pretty beat up about 6 months ago for overemphasizing
our Linux plans vs IRIX.  Could be we've overcorrected at times.

In Eagan, we're mostly focused on higher end systems--although that is
slowly changing (ie we're doing more and more work here).
We'd be very happy to give talks about:
	Linux clustering
	HPC (High Performance Computing) Linux
and probably:
	XFS (our high performance journaling filesystem we're open sourcing)
Maybe other areas, too, if people are interested.  The above talks would
probably be similar to the Linux U ones, but at TCLUG I can't imagine we'd
push IRIX unless you asked us to.  Of course, I don't know why they'd
push IRIX at Linux U, either.  Doesn't make sense to me.

For the record, none of this is any kind of official SGI response.

--
John Hesterberg			email:	jh@sgi.com
Technical Lead, HPC Linux	phone:	651-683-5879