Re: [TCLUG:16545] Partition sizes?

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Jeff Lehman wrote:

> /.  If there's someone out there that can explain what the /usr, /home,
> /etc, /var and those partitions are for exactly that would be cool,  the
> install howtos didn't talk about any of this very well.   Thanks in advance

Yeah, that was a source of mystsery to me as well when I first started out
using Unix.

/home
where all the data belonging to users goes. /home/yourname, /home/myname,
et c.

/usr
stuff for users--binaries, libraries that binaries depend on,
documentation, and other flavorful goodies.

/etc
configuration files (on most Linux systems) and occasionally binaries (on
some disgusting, gross yacky commercial Unices--it's a System V thing).

/var
files of *variable* size, like logs, mail and news spools, things like
that.

Best thing to do is just cruise around your system and run `ls' all over
the place. It takes a while to get acclimated, and the best way to do it
is, unfortunately, the hard way. :)

--
Christopher Reid Palmer : innerfireworks.com