Re: [TCLUG:16577] A+ Certification

my last employer in Montana paid for me to take the test ($250 bucks for
both i believe). i worked for a medium sized OEM builder and parts store. i
studied for the test for about a week (i have only been working w/ pc's
since jan 97), and i think i wasted about 5 days out of that studying,
because the test was so incredibley simple. they give you 2 hours for 2
tests, and i finished both in 45 minutes, missed 2 on each test (stupid
laser printer questions).

anyway, its a very good test of your knowledge, and i personally feel that i
would never let a technician (at these mom & pop places) w/o an A+
certification work on own machine. and like callum said, it looks really
good on a resume. don't waste your money taking a course tho. they are
designed for people who aren't THAT computer literate, as well as costing
like 1500 bucks, and taking about a month. you could honestly spend about 3
hours studying, and take the test and have no problems.

as far as where to take it, look for any Sylvan Prometric testing center,
i'm sure there are tons around the twin cities (tech schools, etc.). go to
www.comptia.com for more information about it.

kyle