From: ^chewie <chewie@wookimus.net>
To: <tclug-list@mn-linux.org>
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 1:19 AM
Subject: [TCLUG:16582] Firewalls revisited...

A quick tip:

 DON'T set the default policy to DENY.
 (e.g. ipchains -P input DENY)

 Append a LAST rule in the input, output, and forward chains that DENY
 and log any missed packets instead...
 (e.g. ipchains -P input ACCEPT
  ipchains -A input -j ACCEPT # Accounting rule
  ipchains -A input ...  # Rules
  ipchains -A input -j DENY -l # Log anything you missed)

 I set up my firewalls the way that is illustrated in the
 IPChains-HOWTO, found at www.linuxdoc.org.  Good resource.  I'm not
 going to write any more about it because the HOWTO does a damned good
 job explaining things.

Have fun.
--
^chewie